BLSC will hold the next Bathing Box Classic on Sunday, the 4th February, 2024 at Dendy Beach, Brighton.
(Access to the beach is via the Dendy St pathway at the lights).
Entries close at 4pm, Saturday, 3/2/24.
The BLSC Bathing Box Classic is an official event on the Ocean Swim calendar.
Race times for these Open Water Swims: - 2.5km (starting at 9.00am) or 1.2km (starting at 10.30am) at the picturesque and iconic bathing boxes.
*When you click on the Registration Link below, it will take you to the Race Roster Registration Page (you will need to enter your email address and set a Race Roster Password) then, you will be able to proceed with your Registration for the BLSC Bathing Box Classic 2024.
*Note, there are no 'On the day entries'
- $65 for one event or $90 for both
*Supply of a Bathing Box Classic Long Sleeve T-Shirt is guaranteed to online entries - with sizing details below*
Half Chest (cm) Small (52) Medium (55) Large (58) XLarge (61) 2XLarge (64) *Tolerance: +/- 1.5cm
Body Length (cm) Small (70) Medium (72) Large (74) XLarge (76) 2XLarge (78) *Tolerance: +/- 1.5cm
1. In an emergency during the swim leg, a swimmer will raise an overhead arm and call for or seek, assistance from water safety personnel (BLSC Life Savers). Swimmers can accept flotation assistance without retiring from the event. Swimmers cannot receive propulsion assistance.
2. Swimmers who require assistance via the Inflatable Rescue Boats (IRB's) or Rescue Jet Skis, will be returned to shore and automatically retire from the race.
3. Swimmers must be 12 years or older on the day of the event to compete.
4. Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves and may tread water or float.
5. Swimmers must start in the wave with their corresponding cap colour as given to them at registration.
6. A swimmer must be wearing the approved swim cap given to them at registration to start their swim. The swim cap can be removed once at the transition area.
7. Participants must be wearing the transponder (timing bracelet) given to them at registration at all times during the swim.
8. A swimmer shall not wear propulsion devices of any kind including, but not limited to, fins/flippers, paddles, flotation devices or buoyancy suits of any kind. Wetsuits are permitted.
9. Only those participants who have trained and feel competent to complete the event, should enter the event.
10. We recommend wetsuits and goggles be worn by swimmers.
11. Each competitor will be issued with a transponder (timing bracelet) which they will be required to wear at all times during the race. It is the responsibility of competitors to ensure the transponders are securely fastened to them prior to entering and exiting the water. Non-returned or lost transponders will incur a $100 replacement charge.
1. I understand that the Bathing Box Classic (the 'Event') is an open water swim of either approximately 1.2 kilometres or 2.5 kilometres in length. As such it is a physically strenuous and demanding swim. I understand that only swimmers who have trained for such events and are capable of completing the 1.2 kilometre swim in under 40 minutes or the 2.5 kilometre swim in under 75 minutes should enter. It is recommended that participants should wear a wetsuit.
2. I agree to be bound by the official rules and regulations of the Event.
3. I hereby consent to receive medical treatment that may be thought advisable by a registered medical practitioner or paramedical personnel or qualified lifesaving personnel in case of injury/or illness during the event.
4. I hereby agree that if the Event is cancelled due to storm, rain, inclement weather, winds, other 'Act of God' conditions, COVID or safety concerns that may impact participants, my entry-fee can be refunded on request if I choose not to donate the fee to Brighton Life Saving Club to assist them with their work in the community.
5. I acknowledge that I will be issued with a Timing Transponder on the day of the Event to wear securely around my ankle throughout the race/s, and that I must return the Transponder to Event organisers at the completion of my race/s. I further acknowledge that I may be held accountable for the non-return of the Timing Transponder assigned to me and agree to pay Brighton Life Saving Club ('BLSC') the cost of such Transponder if it is lost or not returned,
6. I acknowledge that I may have been advised that participation in the Event involves a risk of injury, death or financial loss and that my participation in the Event (or of any person under my legal responsibility) is at my own risk and to the maximum extent permitted by law. I hereby release and forever discharge BLSC and it's members, Event sponsors and their employees, representatives, members and agents, Commonwealth and State Departments and Instrumentalities, medical and paramedical practitioners and personnel, and all other persons involved in the organisation, conduct and promotion of the Event and their respective employees, servants, agents, contractors, consultants and officers ('Event' organisers and BLSC members) from any and all liability and loss and damage, costs or expenses that I (or any person under my legal responsibility) have or at any time in the future may have arising from or connected with the Event.
7. I consent to BLSC, the sponsors of the Event or third parties appointed by them to use, without restriction, any images, film, sound recording or photographs captured or taken before, during or after the Event without compensation. I am aware that I am not permitted to display any advertising or marketing identification of any sponsor that is in competition with the Event sponsors.
8. I consent to BLSC including it's volunteer medical staff and trained members, collecting health information about me before or during any medical treatment given to me in the course of the Event for the purposes of providing medical treatment or first aid.
9. If any part of a provision of this agreement is void or unenforceable that part shall be severable and not affect the enforceability of the remaining provisions.
For all inquiries in relation to the Bathing Box Classic, contact details are as follows:
26th Jan 2024
Swimland Great Australia Day Swim (Middle Brighton Pier)
4th Feb 2024
BLSC Bathing Box Classic
(Video kindly provided by Belle Property Brighton)
We have our two major water safety events in the first 2 months of 2024.
We have a number of volunteer roles to fill both on and off the water!
Please use the link below to sign up to either event; (Link TBC)
These are two MAJOR fundraisers for BLSC and are great days for the whole BLSC community to come together.
BLSC held a water safety day for approximately 50 newly arrived immigrants, on the 9th December, 2023.
Lifesavers introduced the women and children (mainly Afghanis) to the great Australian tradition - a day at the beach.
The goal is to see this program rolled out nationwide to every life saving club.
The program on the CALD Day features water based activities including survival skills, floating and using Nippers boards as well as an introduction to lifesavers and the importance of swimming at patrolled beaches between the flags.
The program is a community initiative by BLSC and the Afghan Women's Association Victoria.
Click Here to purchase tickets: