2018 BLSC Peter Stevens Annual Ball
BLSC would love to invite members and friends to the annual Peter Stevens Ball to celebrate such a fantastic season!
Ticket prices include a two course meal - Colin's famous spit roast and delicous apple pie.
There will be live music, raffle prizes to be won and a bar open to those over the age of 18, with drinks at very reasonable prices.
Pirate Pete began the tradition of the annual black tie 'Reel and Line Ball', 27 years ago. For those who didn't know Pete, he was an icon around BLSC for years, a friendly face around the club every day of the year and our resident photographer documenting the club's fun history. The name of the ball was changed to honor Pete's legacy after he passed away.
We can't wait to farewell yet another season in our trusty, rusty, little clubhouse.
To purchase tickets, please click here.
For a copy of the flier, please click here.
For all ticket inquiries and table requests*, please email Lucy Lyons at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can't wait to see you there!
*Tables of 10. If you would like to be on a table with a specific group of guests, please let Lucy know.
BLSC CALD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) Day
BLSC held a water safety day for approximately 60 newly arrived immigrants on the 17th February, 2018, with the orginally scheduled date (2nd December), having to be postphoned due to 'severe weather'.
Lifesavers introduced the women and children (Mainly Afghanis, Sudanese, Burmese, Chilean and Somalian) to the great Australian tradition - a day at the beach.
The goal is to see this program rolled out nationwide to every life saving club.
The program on the CALD Day featured water based activities including survival skills, floating and using Nippers boards as well as an introduction to lifesavers and the importance of swimming at patrolled beaches between the flags.
The program is a community initiative by the BLSC, the City of Dandenong and Catholic Care.
Bathing Box Classic
BLSC held the innaugural Bathing Box Classic on Saturday, the 24th February, 2018 at Dendy Beach, Brighton.
Thie Bathing Box Classic is an official event on the Ocean Swim calendar.
Race times for these Open Water Swims were - 2.5km (starting at 9.00am) or 1.2km (starting at 10.30am) at the picturesque and iconic bathing boxes.
Swim Categories, as follows:
- Junior (12-17 yrs)
- Open (18-29 yrs)
Entries are open NOW - Register for the Bathing Box Classic on the following hyperlink:
Registration on the day, will be from 7.30am.
- $50 for one event or $75 for both (On the day entries are $60 and $80)
*Supply of a Bathing Box Classic Long Sleeve T-Shirt is guaranteed to on-line entries*
Half Chest (cm) Small (52) Medium (55) Large (58) XLarge (61) 2XLarge (64)
Body Length (cm) Small (70) Medium (72) Large (74) XLarge (76) 2XLarge (78)
(Tolerance: +/- 1.5cm)
Rules and Regulations:
1. In an emergency during the swim leg, a swimmer will raise an overhead arm and call for or seek, assistance from water safety personnel (BLSC Life Savers). Swimmers acn accept flotation assistance without retiring from the event. Swimmers cannot receive propulsion assistance.
2. Swimmers who require assistance via the Inflatable Rescue Boats (IRB's) or Rescue Jet Skis, will be returned to shore and automatically retire from the race.
3. Swimmers must be 12 years or older on the day of the event to compete.
4. Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves and may tread water or float.
5. Swimmers must start in the wave with their corresponding cap colour as given to them at registration.
6. A swimmer must be wearing the approved swim cap given to them at registration to start their swim. The swim cap can be removed once at the transition area.
7. Participants must be wearing the transponder (timing bracelet) given to them at registration at all times during the swim.
8. A swimmer shall not wear propulsion devices of any kind including, but not limited to, fins/flippers, paddles, flotation devices or buoyancy suits of any kind. Wetsuits are permitted.
9. Only those participants who have trained and feel competent to complete the event, should enter the event.
10. We recommend wetsuits and goggles be worn by swimmers.
11. Each competitor will be issued with a transponder (timing bracelet) which they will be required to wear at all times during the race. It is the responsibility of competitors to ensure the transponders are securely fastened to them prior to entering and exiting the water. Non-returned or lost transponders will incur a $100 replacement charge.
Declaration and Condition of Entry
1. I understand that the Bathing Box Classic (the 'Event') is an open water swim of either approximately 1.2 kilometres or 2.5 kilomteres in length. As such it is a physically strenuous and demanding swim. I understand that only swimmers who have trained for such events and are capable of completing the 1.2 kilometre swim in under 40 minutes or the 2.6 kilometre swim in under 75 minutes should enter. It is recommended that participants should wear a wetsuit.
2. I agree to be bound by the official rules and regulations of the Event.
3. I hereby consent to recieve medical treatment that may be thought advisable by a registered medical practitioner or paramedical personnel or qualified lifesaving personnel in case of injury/or illness during the event.
4. I hereby agree that if the Event is cancelled due to storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or other 'Act of God' conditions or safety concerns that may impact participants, my entry-fee shall be non-refundable.
5. I acknowledge that I will be issued with a Timing Transponder on the day of the Event to wear securely around my ankle throughout the race/s, and that I must return the Transponder to Event organisers at the completion of my race/s. I further acknowledge vthat aI may be held accountable for the non-return of the Timing Transponder assigned to me and agree to pay Brighton Life Savionbg Club ('BLSC') the cost of such Transponder if it is lost or not returned,
6. I acknowledge that I may have been advised that participation in the Event involves a risk of injury, death or financial loss and that my participation in the Event (or of any person under my legal responsibility) is at my own risk and to the maxiumum extent permitted by law. I hereby release and forever discharge BLSC and it's members, Event sponsors and their employees, representatives, members and agents, Commonwealth and State Departments and Instrumentalities, medical and paramedical practitioners and personnel, and all other persons involved in the organisation, conduct and promotion of the Event and their respective employees, servants, agents, contractors, consultants and officers ('Event' organisers and BLSC members) from any and all liability and loss and damage, costs or expenses that I (or any person under my legal responsibility) have or at any time in the future may have arising from or connected with the Event.
7. I consent to BLSC, the sponsors of the Event or third parties appointed by them to use, without restriction, any images, film, sound recording or photographs captured or taken before, during or after the Event without compensation. I am aware that I am not permitted to display any advertising or marketing identification of any sponsor that is in competion with the Event sponsors.
8. I consent to BLSC including it's volunteer medical staff and trained members, collecting health information about me before or during any medical treatment given to me in the course of the Event for the purposes of providing medical treatment or first aid.
9. If any part of a provision of this agreement is void or unenforceable that part shall be severable and not effect the enforceability of the remaining provisions.
For all inquiries in relation to the Bathing Box Classic, contact details are as follows:
26th Jan 2018
Swimland Great Australia Day Swim (Middle Brighton Pier)
- 1400m Open Water Swim
- 2500km Open Water Swim
- 650m Intermediate Swim
- 2/300m Swimland Junior Dash
|Swimland Great Australia Day Swim - Video|
|24th Feb 2018|
BLSC Bathing Box Classic
- 2500m Open Water Swim
- 1200m Open Water Swim
|17th Jan 2016||Start to Finish (Elwood) 5 Boats & 8 Boards|
|23rd Jan 2016||Challenge Melbourne (Elwood) 3 Boats|
|14th Feb 2016||Start to Finish (Mordialloc) 8 Boats & 12 Boards|
|21st Feb 2106||Start to Finish (Sandringham) 5 Boats & 8 Boards|
|6th Mar 2016||Moomba Birdman (Yarra River) 3 Boats & 1 Rescue Diver|
|11th Jan 2016||Advanced Resuscitation Course|
|12th Jan 2016||Spinal Management|
|13th Jan 2016||Apply First Aid (Workplace Level 2) Day 1|
|14th Jan 2016||Apply First Aid (Workplace Le) Day 2|
|TBC Jan 2016||Basic Beach Management|